Moncton CS

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Win7 is a whore. Halp.

Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12052

  • Pelican Fart
  • Pelican Fart's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ultimate Admin
  • Why are you looking here?
  • Posts: 1504
  • Thank you received: 102
  • Karma: 142
So I recently updated Windows 7 for the first time since I got my laptop because I had 86 required updates, and yesterday I got BSOD'd while doing nothing at all, then again this morning while transferring some music onto a mini SD card for my phone. Both times it said it "tried to open a thread it did not own". Now here comes the retarded part. Since I got my laptop, I've created no less than 6 system restore points. So today I figure I'll just go back to pre-update and it might fix itself. But then I get the message that no restore points have been created. So what I'm trying to figure out is WHY IS WINDOWS 7 FUCKING ME? What can I do short of reinstalling windows to unfuck my shit? If I'm going to be getting BSOD'd daily I'll kill someone.
Just bein' a dick.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12054

  • Vijore
  • Vijore's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Xtreme Admin
  • DanN`
  • Posts: 3291
  • Thank you received: 224
  • Karma: 99
I never tried W7 myself so I wouldnt know :(

Its funny because somewhere around June, Im planning on moving on to W7 too XD, we're ganna both get analed by W7, at least lets go through this bs together (no homo) hahahhaahhaah
sdg `Gotchu-. // sdg DanN` // sdg deLirium`
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12055

  • Pelican Fart
  • Pelican Fart's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ultimate Admin
  • Why are you looking here?
  • Posts: 1504
  • Thank you received: 102
  • Karma: 142
Vijore wrote:
I never tried W7 myself so I wouldnt know :(

Its funny because somewhere around June, Im planning on moving on to W7 too XD, we're ganna both get analed by W7, at least lets go through this bs together (no homo) hahahhaahhaah

At least I'll have someone to lean on while I get taken from behind. I hope someone with Win7 can help me out. I'm quite pissed.


Also, for some reason a while back 7 started forcing me to play games in their native resolutions instead of stretching to fit my widescreen laptop, so I have to play CS with huge black bars on the sides and play at highest res so it at least fills it vertically. And I can't even play Diablo 2 because 800x600 is practically the size of a fucking quarter and impossibly teeny. I'm just getting slapped around by Win7 so much. I miss XP.
Just bein' a dick.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Pelican Fart.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12056

  • Captainbone
  • Captainbone's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 181
  • Thank you received: 7
  • Karma: 0
Win7 is much much better than XP(assuming you know how to use win7)...

How to fix the resolution problem:
Go to your desktop, right click --> screen resoultions
To change the DPI, click or press the window button --> control panel --> apperance and personalization --> make text and other items larger or smaller (under display)

The BSOD can be cause by many things...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12057

  • Pelican Fart
  • Pelican Fart's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ultimate Admin
  • Why are you looking here?
  • Posts: 1504
  • Thank you received: 102
  • Karma: 142
Captainbone wrote:
Win7 is much much better than XP(assuming you know how to use win7)...

How to fix the resolution problem:
Go to your desktop, right click --> screen resoultions
To change the DPI, click or press the window button --> control panel --> apperance and personalization --> make text and other items larger or smaller (under display)

The BSOD can be cause by many things...

I'm fairly certain it was the updates not installing themselves correctly that's causing me to BSOD. I hadn't updated since I got the laptop because I just plain hate the updates Windows sends out (they've caused issues for me in the past with Vista and it looks like they wish to continue doing so with 7) and a week after I decide to give in and install them all, boosh. Shittin all over me.

The problem isn't my screen res, that's up all the way and it's perfectly fine until I run a game. Then the game will run at a resolution like I'm playing on an old CRT and I can't change it. I've googled the issue but haven't had much luck, trying to force it into my res with various commands attached in properties etc. has yielded no results but further frustration. Graphics card drivers are up to date and everything. Weirdest part is the problem came out of the blue. One day I decided to play Madness Interactive for old time's sake (used to do all sorts of mods to that game with Flash MX), and after that games only played in their native resolutions. I can't see how MI would've fucked everything up but before playing that everything was dandy, after that everything was funky.

XP was always so nice to me. Granted 7 is a step up from Vista, but that's not saying a lot because Vista was a step or two down from XP if you ask me.
Just bein' a dick.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Pelican Fart.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12058

  • Captainbone
  • Captainbone's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 181
  • Thank you received: 7
  • Karma: 0
Well, a lot of old games simply arent compatible since win7 may not even exist back then...

Try the follow: right click on the .exe file of the game --> properties --> compatibility --> run this program in compatibility mode and choose XP. Also make sure that admin privilege is checked.

Also as for your BSOD problem, this may or may not fix it but i would give it a try.

www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/

When as for lisence enter:

Name: Kim Weems Code: 62EB-03BE-C359-CAFE-8BC7-C252- 678D-EA8C (its a cracked key but who cares, unless you wanna pay $40)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12059

  • Pelican Fart
  • Pelican Fart's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ultimate Admin
  • Why are you looking here?
  • Posts: 1504
  • Thank you received: 102
  • Karma: 142
Captainbone wrote:
Well, a lot of old games simply arent compatible since win7 may not even exist back then...

Try the follow: right click on the .exe file of the game --> properties --> compatibility --> run this program in compatibility mode and choose XP. Also make sure that admin privilege is checked.

Also as for your BSOD problem, this may or may not fix it but i would give it a try.

www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/

When as for lisence enter:

Name: Kim Weems Code: 62EB-03BE-C359-CAFE-8BC7-C252- 678D-EA8C (its a cracked key but who cares, unless you wanna pay $40)

I'll give registry mechanic a go. I have no qualms with using a cracked serial, I can't even remember the last time I paid for software.

As for compatibility mode, I've tried it with every possible option and no dice. That was the first thing I tried since I figured it got fucked up since it's an ancient game, but apparently that's not the problem.
Just bein' a dick.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Pelican Fart.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12061

  • merq O.o
  • merq O.o's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Advanced Admin
  • Posts: 151
  • Thank you received: 9
  • Karma: 0
As far as your big "black lines" do you have a nVidia card or ATI ? anyway make sure its set to "use nvidia scaling" in the Nvidia Control Panel (same shit for ATI), that being checked your games will run full screen and not some f'ed up scale.

I have had Windows 7 since release and there had been no problem that i couldnt fix myself, W 7 is "more user-friendly" a.k.a it's Microsofts way of saying: "you are gonna have a hard fucking time finding specific settings if you are really used to XP"

anyway, ill be online tonight, so message me on steam and ill help you out with the other issue.
-BAZINGA
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by merq O.o.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12062

  • Pelican Fart
  • Pelican Fart's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ultimate Admin
  • Why are you looking here?
  • Posts: 1504
  • Thank you received: 102
  • Karma: 142
merq O.o wrote:
As far as your big "black lines" do you have a nVidia card or ATI ? anyway make sure its set to "use nvidia scaling" in the Nvidia Control Panel (same shit for ATI), that being checked your games will run full screen and not some f'ed up scale.

I have had Windows 7 since release and there had been no problem that i couldnt fix myself, W 7 is "more user-friendly" a.k.a it's Microsofts way of saying: "you are gonna have a hard fucking time finding specific settings if you are really used to XP"

anyway, ill be online tonight, so message me on steam and ill help you out with the other issue.

The card is an AMD M860G with ATI Mobility Radeon 4100, where is this ATI control panel of which you speak? I'm not much into graphics cards and the ilk so bear with me :side: I'll get at you if you're on steam later tonight, gotta eat, deal with an assload of eBay stuff and some work stuff before I do anything else.

About to install and run registry mechanic while I deal with everything else to see how that goes, though I've been told they're kinda shit for 7.
Just bein' a dick.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Pelican Fart.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12063

  • merq O.o
  • merq O.o's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Advanced Admin
  • Posts: 151
  • Thank you received: 9
  • Karma: 0
ATi has Catalyst Control Center .. or something
There are 2 things you should try

FIRST OF ALL make sure you drivers are up to date

1.open catalyst control center > go into advance graphics settings and make sure the screen layout is set to FULL screen, not centered

2. if the first step fails or its set to full screen, look for "Scaling Options" somewhere there and play around with them
-BAZINGA
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12064

  • Pelican Fart
  • Pelican Fart's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ultimate Admin
  • Why are you looking here?
  • Posts: 1504
  • Thank you received: 102
  • Karma: 142
merq O.o wrote:
ATi has Catalyst Control Center .. or something
There are 2 things you should try

FIRST OF ALL make sure you drivers are up to date

1.open catalyst control center > go into advance graphics settings and make sure the screen layout is set to FULL screen, not centered

2. if the first step fails or its set to full screen, look for "Scaling Options" somewhere there and play around with them

Well it's set to full screen, but I couldn't for the life of me find scaling options anywhere.

As far as the BSOD shit goes it hasn't happened again, if it does I'll get in touch with you tomorrow if you're on, tonight I don't have much spare time.
Just bein' a dick.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Win7 is a whore. Halp. 7 years 2 months ago #12065

  • spoon
  • spoon's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 166
  • Thank you received: 12
  • Karma: 2
You do know Windows 8 is coming out soon... ^___^
4 year running CS player, lan attender, movie maker, and randy
My youtube: www.youtube.com/user/atwspoon
much <3

- spoon
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.410 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum :: SnilloC Designs | SD-Aphotic II